Week 2 of 52: Drucker Mondays (Jan. 12, 2015). Welcome to Drucker Mondays, a 52-week journey through the new book, A Year with Peter Drucker: 52 Weeks of Coaching for Leadership Effectiveness, by Joseph A. Maciariello. Each Monday, we'll feature a Drucker fan and his or her favorite snippet from the week's topic. Click here to subscribe. Mike Pate is our guest writer this week.
Week 2: Questions to Ask Before Committing a Portion of Your Life to the Service of an Organization - Interview Questions for MBA Students
THE BIG IDEA FROM THE BOOK: In Week 2, Peter Drucker provides great insights for young people (and some older folks too) on how to choose a career position with an organization that is both rewarding and impactful.
Drucker responds to the president of a leading educational institution who asks, “What kinds of questions should MBA students ask prospective employers about leadership and mission as they make a decision to commit to the service of an organization?”
MIKE PATE’S FAVORITE DRUCKER INSIGHTS from Week 2, pages 9 to 14:
• “You will make much more progress in your career by working to improve your strengths than by trying to turn your weaknesses into strengths.”
• “The key to managing oneself is to know: Who am I? What are my strengths? How do I work to achieve results? What are my values?”
• “If you are in the wrong position you must be prepared to move when the opportunity presents itself…”
MIKE PATE’S COLOR COMMENTARY:
Drucker suggests the following questions regarding your future or your current position: “Are you learning enough? Are you challenged enough? Does the organization make use of your strengths or what you can do?”
Your career and life choices are YOUR responsibility! You must be actively managing yourself by knowing your strengths, continue growing, seeking to make a contribution and by being willing to take new opportunities as they come your way.
THIS WEEK’S QUOTES & COMMENTARY BY:
Mike Pate, executive director, Transformation Ministries Camping, also serves as board vice chair of Christian Community Credit Union and chair of his local Municipal Advisory Council. Mike’s passion is to live an extraordinary life and influence people and organizations to be all that God created them to be! Click here to visit Mike's favorite spot on earth.
• Do you know your strengths? Start with the bestselling book StrengthsFinder 2.0.
• Ask yourself, “Do I know where I can make a significant contribution in my current organization?”
Jan. 19, 2015 – Week 3: Three Fundamental Questions for a Functioning Society of Organizations (#1: What Is Our Business?)
Color Commentary by: Dale Torry, Vice President, CRISTA Senior Living